Walking Safely to and from School
- Make sure your child's walk to a school is a safe route with well-trained adult crossing
guards at every intersection.
- Be realistic about your child's pedestrian skills. Because small children are impulsive and
less cautious around traffic, carefully consider whether or not your child is ready to walk
to school without adult supervision.
- In neighborhoods with higher levels of traffic, consider starting a “walking school bus,”
in which an adult accompanies a group of neighborhood children walking to school.
- If your children are young or are walking to a new school, walk with them the first week
to make sure they know the route and can do it safely.
- Bright colored clothing will make your child more visible to drivers.