» Set your family up for a success with your New Year healthy resolutions.
Set your family up for a success with your New Year healthy resolutions.
Posted on Jan 05, 2009 by Maggie LaBarbera
This is that time of the year, where we are all (yes, me too!) are gung-ho to start our New Year's Resolutions. Did you know that most people will have abandon their goals within 90 days?
Maybe part of the problem is that we look at it as a "New Year" thing to do. We need to change our mindset and forget the whole New Year thing but rather focus on a "2009" thing to do. Set our mind that this is a year long resolution.
Here are some ideas to help your family stay on track:
- Start as a family. Sit down and really have a discussion about healthy living and what things the family has done really well and what areas the family needs to improve on.
- Pick just 2 family goals and decide how you will track it. Work as a team. Even the little ones should be part of the conversation. This will help instill the importance of being healthy.
- Decide on a day of the week, where you will review your goal. This is important. It gives the family a chance to reflect on the week and again discuss what is working well and what needs some changes. Perhaps you need to tweak to make the goal simpler. Little changes add up. Set your family up for success.
- Here is the big one! Celebrate your successes. Even the small ones. This keeps it fun and motivates us to continue.
- Celebrate the family success with a fun family favorite activity. It doesn't have to be expensive or even cost anything. You would be surprised how much kids value family time.
Most of all, keep it fun and don't give up. Being healthy and living healthy is a state of being, not just a quick fix. This extra family time will really help your child internalize the message of how important healthy eating and activity is.
Flag This Item